Erectile Dysfunction and other Post Covid Long Term Symptoms
- Posted on: Dec 9 2020
I hope you are staying healthy and happy during this holiday season under the cloud of the COVID pandemic. I am constantly researching and learning as much as I can about this illness in order to take better care of my patients and my family and loved ones.
I have continued to beat the drum of the importance of getting as healthy as possible and boosting the immune system everyway we can through exercise, diet, sleep, stress reduction, nutrition, vitamin supplements, hormone balancing and optimization, continued routine health maintenance (ex. annual exams, pap smears, mammograms, PSA checks, etc) and continuing to manage and treat any current chronic illnesses.
I came across an interesting article regarding the risks of ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION, after having COVID. This is postulated to be the result of damage to the lining of blood vessels (the endothelium) as well as damage caused by microembolic events from acute Coronavirus infection. In layman’s terms, this means the virus damages small blood vessels that supply peripheral tissues with blood, nutrients and oxygen and can result in poor function of the damaged tissue. Click here for the article —-> LINK TO ARTICLE
This particular article dosen’t specifically mention female sexual function, but since female sexual function involves so much more than just working genitals (brain, pituitary gland, endocrine system/hormones) and COVID is being shown to have lasting effects on many different body parts and organ systems, there is no doubt in my doctor brain that female sexual function could also very likely be effected in this same manner.
Other disturbing long term effects that have been noticed is HAIR LOSS and skin changes.
Chronic fatigue, cognitive dysfunction and poor sleep have all been reported as well.
Many of my patients are very concerned about these symptoms and want to know what to do about them and how to get back to normal. Others are preoccupied with how to prevent not only getting infected, but if they do, how can they recover quickly and avoid some of these post-COVID sequlae.
There are many proactive steps you can take besides wearing a mask, washing your hands frequently, eating right, exercising, getting fresh air frequently outdoors and social distancing.
My recommendation is to do all the things listed above in addition to:
(1) Get your hormones in balance. This includes not only the sex hormones (Estradiol and Testosterone), but also Thyroid, Prolactin, Cortisol and many others. It has been proven over and over again that the immune system function is extremely dependent on a properly functioning, balanced or optimized endocrine (Hormone) system.
(2) Taking adequate vitamin supplements that havee been shown to help with COVID as well as boost immune function…….such as Vitamin C, Zinc, Vitamin D, Glutathione and the B Vitamins. A baby aspirin a day has also been suggested to help prevent some of the microthrombotic events that can occur with COVID infections. Or you could get IM or IV vitamin treatments in my office specifically formulated to help prevent and treat COVID associated illness and promote immunity.
(3) Take advantage of available regenerative treatments that help improve, enhance or restore your own tissue and tissue function safely and naturally. Meaning have treatments with PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) or Exosomes to correct any damage that may have already occurred (ex. erectile dysfunction, female sexual dysfunction or hair loss). Especially if you suffer from an auto-immune disease. These therapies have been showing remarkable results in people with multiple different types of autoimmune diseases. Treatments such as P-Shots®, O-Shots®, Vampire® Hair Resotration or IV or direct injections of Exosomes.
(4) Stay or get in shape with either outdoor walking, running or biking or with safe indoor classes that practice good preventative measures to reduce virus transmission. If you are afraid to go to the gym, our Emsculpt machine may be a great alternative in the meantime. It is comfortable, quick and can give you a better work out than you could get on your own struggling at the gym for 6 months, in just 2 wks of treatments.
(5) Get tested frequently. We have COVID testing available as well.